Sunday, May 1, 2022

Another Delightful Day

Mike picked me up at 9:30, after his shopping spree at various stores in Ventura. He had been given a list--mostly makeup and shampoo--from his three girls (wife and daughters) for certain brands not available in Singapore, so he had plenty of bags and boxes.  While at Ellen's, friend Pat called to say she had watched some of the funeral mass for Jim; we discussed that for a bit. 

El, Greg, Mike, and I then had a wonderful excursion to the Kristamurdi Center up in the hills of Ojai. I've been there several times before and was always thrilled with the scenery and peaceful ambiance of the place. We stopped first at the central building, formerly the philosopher's home, and met with Michael, director of the center. He and Greg are good friends and meet for coffee every week or so. Michael is an interesting person; he had been joined the Kristamurdi adherents four or five decades ago and eventually became his cook. In fact, he wrote a book called The Kitchen Chronicles," which Mike immediately bought. Michael wrote a very kind and warm inscription in it.  We sat in his office for about twenty minutes and conversed with Michael, then wandered around the grounds.  


After several hours there, we headed to The Hip Vegan for lunch. I had a tofu "hamburger" and boy, was that good. Back to Ellen's and Greg left for work, then my two little kiddies and I headed out to town. Walked on the main drag--lots of tourists, but a lovely day--and went to the Japanese tea place--Full Moon or whatever it's called--where incredibly, Mike bought sixty-six dollars worth of tea. Next door, we saw an odd little curio shop called "Violet's Pink Thrift." It had (secondhand) merchandise out front and I saw and immediately knew I had to have a lamp with a camel on it. I tried to get in the shop to buy it, but the door was locked. What to do? I hit on the idea of calling her; looked up the number on my phone, did so, and she answered. In a few minutes, a very old woman in a smock came out, too my money, and I carried the lamp to the car.

After that, we stopped for an hour at Nordhoff Cemetery, surely the most unusual I've seen. It's very remote and rather wild, but somehow, serene and beautiful.   

Back at El's and the three of us sat in the side yard with big glasses of iced tea (it was 80 degrees) under the shade of her huge tree. We decided on a plan for today: I would come via the Access Van (I arranged for pickup at 7:19, so an hour from now); we'd hike and observe the wildlife in "the meadows near El's; she'd make us breakfast after, then Mike would drop me off his way back to L.A. We talked a bit more, then El drove me to the bus stop, I caught the 16, and was home before 6:00. 

Set the alarm for 5:30 and slept like a stone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment